100 Calorie Chocolate Cake
There is NO oil needed for this chocolate cake! The recipe gets rave reviews every single time I make it… even from people who aren’t normally fans of healthy desserts! It can definitely hold its own against any high-calorie chocolate cake from a fancy restaurant or cake shop, and no one ever guesses it isn’t full of fat and sugar.
By using yogurt, such as So Delicious or Wholesoy, you can cut way back on the fat and empty calories while still retaining all of the moisture and richness of a traditional cake made with oil. Years of experience have taught me that chocolate tastes much better when some fat is included, and therefore I chose to add a little nut butter to the recipe as well (for allergy-friendly, you can use Sunbutter or Peabutter).
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup xylitol or granulated sugar of choice (140g)
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, optional
- 3/4 cup water (180g)
- 1/4 cup almond butter, peanut butter (60g
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract (8g)
- 6 tbsp cacao or unsweetened cocoa powder (30g)
- 1/4 cup yogurt of choice (such as Wholesoy) (60g)
0 hrs: 40 min
Makes / Serves
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and grease an 8-in square or round pan. Set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, optional chips, and sweetener, and stir very well. (If your nut butter is not stir-able, gently heat it until stir-able.)
- 3. In a new bowl, whisk together the nut butter, yogurt, water, and vanilla. Pour wet into dry and stir until just combined (don’t over-mix), then pour into the greased pan. Bake 25 minutes or until batter has risen and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out mostly clean. (I like to take it out when it’s still a little undercooked, let it cool, and then set in the fridge overnight. This prevents overcooking, and the cake will still firm up nicely as it sits.)
- 4. If you can wait, I highly recommend not taking a taste until the next day… this cake is so much richer and sweeter after sitting for a day.